Friday, March 11, 2011

It Has Been A Long Time Coming...

A White Ibis by Claude Nall



If my memory serves me here, I estimate about 10 years since I have seen so many White Ibis roosting at Lake Martin.




As I wrapped up the swamp tour yesterday,





I decided to shoot some sunset photos





and wave after wave of Ibis





began to fly over heading for the rookery to roost.




I have been distressed to say the least regarding the decline of the nesting bird population at the Lake Martin rookery.



The Nature Conservancy last drained the lake in September of 2008,



which led to low water levels during the nesting season of 2009,



and there was still considerable application of herbicide to control the aquatic plants in 2009 as well.





Then in 2009, after I started writing articles about the corelation of lower water levels and the decline of the nesting bird population,





the Nature Conservancy stopped draining the lake for the first time in September 2009





and last year the birds came back as I had hoped and predicted they would.




This year, I am anxiously awaiting to see where this positive turn of events goes.




In the meantime, as winter comes to an end, and the Bald Cypress refoliates,




It appears we birdwatchers, photographers, and nature lovers have much to look forward to this spring!

No comments: